Thursday, November 13, 2014

Interview

1) What influenced you to become a coach and have you always wanted to be one? 
My love for the game as a player started my out - it was definitely not the money influence. I enjoy the competition during training and games but more importantly I enjoy being involved in guiding players both on and off the field and helping in anyway I can - actually I have.....
2) What was your career path and do you have plans to move even further in your career?
My career path used to be University or Regional/National staff - having a wife and 2 kids has changed that a bit. Less about me and more about them. So I am happy with where I am at - where I have been and what I have done. 
3) What were some of the challenges you faced in getting to where you are now?
1. No degree! In order for me to get into a college position (other then assistant) you need to have one. Low pay - starting out is not always great - getting with a good organization / players sometimes you have to be the low man on the totem pole in regards to salary. Worth it in the long run but in the beginning it is a grind. Parents - all the same just different faces - I have learned to distance myself but in the beginning - I was seen almost as a friend in a lot of situations. Never ends well if I have to make game day decisions and their son is not a part of the piece. I learned the hard way ... 
4) What is your coaching philosophy?
Making the most of every training session and game - you dont have to win but you have to push yourself to be better. 
5) What are some ways you expand your knowledge of the game?
First is the other coaches that I talk and work with over the years - this gives a more realistic approach to what your trying to apply. Taking a coaching coarse through the USSF and  I watch alot of MLS and Premiership too. 
6) What are some tips you would give an aspiring coach? 
In order to be a good coach you have to be willing to accept the fact you don't have all the answers and be willing to learn from others.
In this day and age - coaching licenses are important - but if you are looking to make this a career at any level - you got to have a minimum of a C National. This doesnt make you a good coach - like a Masters not making a good teacher - but it does help.

Be patient - realize it is a career - be willing to do more and not less. You can have a family and a coaching career - dont be a slave to the job - just do your job when your there.

No comments:

Post a Comment